Thursday, July 1, 2010

Promoting Health & Wealth - Four Components of Attitude

BusinessDictionary.com defines attitude as a predisposition or a tendency to respond positively or negatively towards a certain idea, object, person or situation. Attitude influences an individual's choice of action, and responds to challenges, incentives, and rewards (together called stimuli).

This source expands the definition by adding there are four major components of attitude, which are
  1. Affective - emotions or feelings.
  2. Cognitive belief or opinion held consciously
  3. Conative - inclination for action.
  4. Evaluative - positive or negative response to stimuli
Interestingly enough, I never had really thought about attitude in regards to specific components. Breaking attitude into bite sized parts makes sense. First, deciding that I can and will be aware of my emotions and feelings as I approach a situation or a person can certainly will affect the experience.

What are some emotions and feelings that might affect our relationships and performance?

As I learn to consciously aware, I become more cognizant of how my beliefs and opinions might be limiting or helping me with that situation or relationship.

What beliefs and opinions do I presently hold?

The conative component, that understanding of our inclination to action, now becomes more important than ever. When we become more conscious of what affects our performance and relationships we can make better decisions in what actions we will take to make a change.

What actions have I taken or not taken lately?

The fourth component, evaluative, is now imperative. All the above questions were WHAT questions. Let's ask the HOW questions?

How are my emotions and feelings affecting my relationships, performance and results? How are my beliefs and opinions affecting my relationships, performance and results? How is my level of consciousness affecting my relationships, performance and results?

Evaluation is an element of attitude that is probably the area where we fall short, I for one know that it is mine. Finding approaches, tools and resources to help us really create an attitude that supports a health, wealth and a life that we want and need is the greatest gift we can give to our selves.

I have an entirely different appreciation and approach for changing my attitude. What about you?

All the best in health and wealth,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment