Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Strategies for Building Personal Power - Assess Your Expectations

"In life, you often don't get what you want. But,... here's what you do get - You get what you expect."

From the Go-Give A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
by Bob Burg & John David Mann

I've read the The Go-Give numerous times and taken away many, many pearls of wisdom from that little book, but, I don't think I really ever appreciated the lines from the above quote. We whine, complain, even cry because we don't get what we want, not realizing that the reality is we expected not to get what we wanted anyway.

I met with a very dear friend yesterday. We hadn't seen each other for more than a year and spent time catching up. After many years of self employment, she had to give up what she thought she wanted and went back to a "real" j0b, which is what she and everyone around her expected that she would do. She said something that really struck a cord, I've always believe it to be true myself. She said, "I'm not really going back. You can never go back. I'm actually going forward."

What a marvelous point of view and expectation. She shared with me how much she realized her experiences and talents actually helped her to be much more observant and insightful to her new work environment. She started part time and within a matter of months has already been invited to be a supervisor. She expects to move forward. Guess what - she's is getting exactly what she is expecting.

All the best in health and wealth,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment