Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Get a Push and Fly!

"Come to the edge, he said.
They said: We are afraid.
Come to the edge, he said.
They came.
He pushed them and they flew."
Guillaum Apollinaire
French poet and critic
1880-1918

Being supported is terrific and yet often times all too limiting. The greatest mentors I have had in life have pushed me to grow. Have challenged me. Demanded that I be and do more.

A few years ago I co-authored a book. . When the first draft was completed. I sent the book to people that I valued and trusted to give me honest feedback. At least that what I thought that I wanted and needed.

The people's comments came back - all very supportive and encouraging, except for one. I thought he was a friend. His comment, "You are better than this."

I found it difficult to talk with this wonderful friend and mentor. After getting over the initial anger hurt, it took me six months to get over that feedback. I sat down with the co-author and we re-wrote the entire book. This version was better, still not great, but better.

This book has yet to be published and may never be. That push has helped to be better, not just as a write and author, but as a person. Everyone like to hear that they are terrific and wonderful. However, that feed back to be better changed me forever.

Seek feedback from people who want to help you be better. They want you to fly!



1 comment:

  1. Great message! When one accepts the challenge, life improves. Human excellence is the goal! Feels good too!

    ReplyDelete