Thursday, July 22, 2010

Failing to Lead is Leading to Failure - Lead to Succeed


If I know one thing about leadership, there is one huge flaw that impacts relationships, work, success and pretty much all of life and this is - Failing to lead will lead to failure!

I see it all too often! At home, a partner consistently fails to tell their spouse what they want and need. The spouse consistently fails to follow through and guess what - the relationship falls apart.

With friends and family, a person is involved in a new, big project. Not wanting to let the friend that time together might need to change, the individual continues to extend themselves and struggles, strains and then fails - either in the friendship, the project or both.

With employees, the boss is new and wants to make a great impression and be liked. Instead of clearly stating vision, wants, needs and expectations - the boss works on becoming a friend and being liked. The first quarter rolls by, goals not met - second quarter, goals not met - third quarter. The employee is failing and needs to be replaced.

Do any of these situations sound familiar? I hear about them, I read about them, I work with them - every single day.

Learning to lead self and others has become one of my greatest passions. If I can lead myself, I know I will have healthier personal and professional relationships and success in life. If I can lead others, than I am fulfilling my vision for myself to help others live fully actualized, wonderfully exhilarating and fulfilled lives.

It's about time we lead ourselves and others. Here's some simple tips:

Tip 1 - Clearly communicate your personal and professional vision personal and professional teams.

Tip 2 - Create clearly defined goals and results and communicate them to your personal and professional teams.

Tip 3 - Clearly communicate your wants, needs and expectations to your personal and professional teams.

Tip 4 - Ask for honest feedback about how clear your personal and professional teams are about the above. (a little word to the wise - our communication may not be as effective as we would like it to be)

Tip 5 - Be accountable. Own the blame and your role in the relationship and not fix blame on others.

Tip 6 - Lead others to success with you or help them leave the situation, role or relationship.

Leading is a learned talent. Whether you have natural talent or not, this particular attribute with make or break you in life.

Rather than Failing to Lead - Lead to Succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment