Monday, July 12, 2010

Strategies for Building Personal Power - Assess Talents

Assessing talents, both personally and professionally is a great way to start the week. Besides, personal reflection, which is still one of my personal favorites, there are many tools and instruments that can help you to discover your talents and strengths. One instrument that I find to be particularly useful is DISC Index.

The DISC Index, designed and trademark protected by the company Innermetrix, is based on Dr. William Marstan's foundational work in behavioral science. The DISC Index, according to research done by Innermetrix, is one of the most used behavioral instruments in the world.

Several key areas that the DISC Index is used both personally and professionally to understand their talents and tendencies and well as those opportunities to grow and change are:
  • Interpersonal and Intrapersonal Communication
  • Goal Achievement
  • Role Building
  • Job Selection
  • Performance Managment
Certification is required to administer this particular behavioral instrument. And as with any diagnostic, the value is not in just taking an assessment but also working with an experienced interpreter helps to clarify and promote focus. In personally and professionally over the years, I have personally found the DISC Index to be right on target. The secondary benefit for continued study of my own Index has helped me to understand others as well.

I have a new appreciation that even with the talents I possess there is sometimes a need to reign in and re-evaluate. Fortunately,when I follow my ACTS strategy, I am more focused on what I want and need to support, modify or change.

As a clinician and nurse, working with assessments is essential to complete understanding of our inner talents. Finding the right instruments and resources takes work, but in my opinion, is really worth the effort

All the best in health and wealth,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment