Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Focused Yet Flexible



















“Our thoughts create our reality --

where we put our focus is the direction

we tend to go."


Peter McWilliams

Author of Life 101


As I continue to research human behavior, I am once again impressed with the power of the human spirit. Each day, sometimes, each hour, we are faced with challenges - I am blessed with great health, great family and a great community. I realize that my attitude does help me a great deal, however, I'm not currently confronted with a life threatening illness, poverty, danger, downsizing. You can keep adding to the list. And, my situation could change in an instant.

Everyday I read about or talk with people who in spite of tremendous physical, mental, emotional and environmental challenges stay the course. These courageous spirits deal with the raging winds that attack their bodies, ravage their business, community and/or family and yet they still move forward.

I had a friend many years ago diagnosed with cancer. A lovely nurse with two small children. She worked night shift so that she could be home with her children during the day. She continued to work as an amazing RN - patient loved her. Loving her family- she made their Halloween costumes and decorated for the holiday every year - she made their costumes a little early the year she died - energy and life were rapidly draining away. She enjoyed October 31 her last year of life preparing her children to venture out in the neighbor hood. They didn't know this would be their mother's last time with them. She died November 14 of that same year.

Always flexible with the devastating changes, she focused on love, living and service. I do hope that presented with similar challenges that I will stay my course.



No comments:

Post a Comment