Friday, July 23, 2010

Strategy for Effective Communication

















Understand the Basic Elements of Communications


There are 3 basic elements to face-to face communication:


- Verbal words – what we actually say out loud

- Intonation – the inflection and tone of our voice
- Body language – our facial expressions and body gestures, movements and position


These three elements combined greatly affect the meaning of the message. Behavioral science studies show the following statistics


- Words account for 7%
- Tone of voice accounts for 38% and
- Body language accounts for 55% of the message.


It always amazes me how few individuals have any concept of this information. As I study and practice my skill with communication, I often see these statistics validated. This week I conducted a random study with 100 people. I asked how many knew what percentage of our communication was verbal. The findings – 1% - one person actually knew that 7% of our words affect our communications.


In a large group, often people don’t realize how much they are communicating. Interest – nodding, smiling and leaning forward. Disinterest – texting, slouching and a look of boredom. I mentioned that I was getting messages from everyone in the room without them saying a word. It was amazing to people shift in their seats, sitting taller, hands more exposed and faces more interested.



Great way to grab attention when you need to gain favorable attention or involvement.


Interesting statistics!

1 comment:

  1. As an entrepreneur, I learned a long time ago about the importance of non-verbal communication especially when cutting hair. Now in my other career as a realtor, this skill has been very beneficial. Thanks for a great posting. Bob Bergren

    ReplyDelete