Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Promoting Health & Wealth - Understanding, Connection and Appreciation





One of the greatest impacts in our success and ultimate joy in life is People. Today, I had a wonderful, meaningful conversation with a true friend and mentor. His approach I am sure I will not totally be able to capture but I would like to synthesize into 3 simple concepts.
  • Understanding
  • Connection
  • Appreciation
First, he sought to help me clarify and understand what was causing me so much confusion. He listened with a level of intensity, interest and empathy. He asked questions,

Why are your doing what your doing?
What is it your trying to accomplish or change?
How can you become more effective in this situation?

This stretched me, guided me and allowed me to hear myself. Yes, some of it was too much drama. And yet, these challenges that as I am confronting them so close to home and heart, I realize that I need to allow myself to be aware of how I am feeling and responding to significant changes in my life and my world. It was wonderful to have someone understand and listen to where I was coming from.

Second, he shared that he was dealing with life and changes very similarly. Allowing our selves to be aware that we are impacted by events and situations that affect those close to us is important to notice. But, it is also important for us to know that we need to allow others to deal with their lives in their own manner. The realization for me was that connection is not defined as control. Rather, building a connection in any relationship needs to be empowering, not enabling and that is growth.

Finally, he said something really profound. I appreciate that I am in the perfect place at the perfect time. Be grateful that these perfect events, issues, and situations show up, understand the role we really play, rise to the occasion, take care of self, support and be with others in a healthier manner.

Wonderful words of wisdom - thank you dear friend.

All the best in health and wealth,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment