Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Promoting Health and Wealth - Day 3 -Exploring the Comfort Zone Continued

I left you with some questions yesterday. Now I would certainly be remiss if I suggested that you answer the questions and I failed to do so. You've heard the old saying "Walk the talk." Well, my belief is that I must be walking with you in this process this year, and so, I will use me as an example for progress and challenges that might crop us in this exploration process of the comfort zone.

I have given you a week's worth of questions and so as not to overwhelm you, or me for that matter, I will take one question at a time.

Question #1 - "How do I spend most of my time?"

Being honest with myself, I realize that I really don't mind being in my comfort zone. In fact, I can really get to enjoy it. But, as I explore how I send most of my time, I realize that my comfort zone certainly can be holding me back. I like to be systematic on occasion and so will use 7 major elements of life (physical, mental, family, financial, social, career, and ethics)to help us focus our exploration.

Physical - Some days my greatest exercise is lifting a fork and sitting in front of a computer. I do love food and believe me it shows. I also love writing and believe my joints are starting to notice. If this is how I am spending most of my physical time - the comfort zone soon will not be so comfortable.

Mental - I love learning and reading. I could spend hours with books, my Kindle and in the car with audio books. It's really comfortable getting in more and more information but how am I exercising my brain and applying what I am learning and reading? Yep! I need to move out of my comfort zone.

Family - Do we come home from work and switch on the TV for news, sports or movies? This may seem like a great way to bond and certainly puts us (me at least) right into a comfort zone. But let's be honest, does that really stimulate healthy relationships?

Financial - Now I really like money. How about you? I realize that my comfort zone helps me really spend money. Shopping is a great pastime. But really, how much "stuff" does one really need.

Social - How effective are our community and networking efforts? I often choose to socialize with people that I know and have a lot in common with. I'm not say that socializing with friends and colleagues with similar interests is not important, but could we consider that it might be slightly limiting?

Career - Whether we own a business (which I happen to do ), are employed by others or..., is a matter of choice. This element of my life is the most dynamic and changing - for most of my life I have morphed into a different role every 2 years. In this element, my comfort zone, until 9 years ago when I open my own company, was change. I love beginnings and endings. I could work 24/7, but is that particularly healthy?

Ethics - This element is perhaps the most important. It leads to a Tony Robbins's question - "What won't I stand for?" It also leads to a great book by Stephen Covey called Principle Centered Leadership. Checking in on my values and principles certainly affects my comfort zone. I know what I won't stand for and even more importantly - I know what I will and do stand for - now that's a great use of my time.

How about you - any thoughts about how you are spending most of your time? I would love to hear from you.

Tomorrow, we shall work with question 2 "How do I deal with challenges?"

All the best in health and wealth

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment