Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Promote Health & Wealth - Day 10 - Getting into Flow

In this adventure promotion of health and wealth, this next question becomes really exciting for me - How do I get into the Zone?

As I pursue this quest, one of the experts in the field of Positive Pyschology, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, come to mind. He actually uses the term flow rather than Zone. Moving once again out of my comfort zone and changing gears slightly, I'd like to change my question to How do I move into Flow? Dr. Csikszentmihalyi defined Flow as the mental state of operation in which a person in an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity.

In Csíkszentmihályi research, he identified the following ten factors to be present when someone is in Flow

1. Clear goals
2. Concentrating
3. A loss of the feeling of self-consciousness
4. Distorted sense of time
5. Direct and immediate feedback
6. Balance between ability level and challenge
7. A sense of personal control
8. The activity is intrinsically rewarding
9. A lack of awareness of bodily needs
10. An absorption in the activity and focus


As I reflect, I sense that if I move towards personal and professional mastery of Flow and the ten underlying factors, I have the potential to experience more joy, ease, peace of mind, success and ultimate health and wealth. Now if moving out of my comfort zone can actually give me all of the above and positive energy. These refreshed feelings can enhance - no pun on the word - more comfort with myself.Some simple ways to move into the flow, and yet, I know I have a lot to learn to fully appreciate Csikszentmihalyi's factors to actually live in FLOW.

Is this journey starting to feel like an adventure to you, too? Please join in and help me uncover and discover more about these factors and theory. New theories, concepts and ideas are welcomed.

All the best in health and wealth,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment