Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 4 - Set Your Strategy

In this approach for becoming that extraordinary CEO in our work and life, we have identified three major steps:

On September 14thAs Leanne Hoagland-Smith mentioned in her comment - "it is better to take 7 weeks, rather than 7 days." Great point Leanne. I actually believe each and every step involves constant reflection, review, refinement and revision and once started is a continuous process.
  1. Introduction to self.
  2. Create your focus and define your attributes
  3. Look for the derailers
Setting our strategy is becomes a central theme. Ideas, dreams, even goals are wonderful but are like loose cannons. They go off and perhaps we get results we are looking for, then again, perhaps we don't.

Wikipedia defines strategy as "a word of military origin, referred to as a plan of action to achieve a particular goal." Strategy creates the linkages achieve results and tactics actually help us to get those desired results.

I like to think of strategy as a game and I so I need to know the end results up front. For some, being a big picture person works well. For others, shorter term results are more comfortable. Remember, this is about you being the CEO in your own life, so you have the power to choose your own results.

Setting the strategy only comes with some really intensive work. I like to use the Left side of the Wheels of life to help me focus in those seven or eight major areas: family, career, financial, social, ethical, physical, mental. A friend and colleague, Leanne Hoagland-Smith of Advanced Systems recommended adding purpose as wise addition.





This takes time, effort and a great deal of introspection, but is so worth the time.
  • What family results would I like to achieve? (How will I be in personal relationships)
This year: ____________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
3 Years out: ___________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________

  • What career results would I like to achieve? (What role(s) will I be in? What industry?)
This year: ____________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
3 Years out: ___________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________

  • What financial results would I like to achieve? (How much will I be earning annually? What will my financial health look like in terms of savings and/or debt?)
This year: ____________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
3 Years out: ___________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________

  • What social results would I like to achieve? (How will I be meeting new people, networking or serving my community?)
This year: ____________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
3 Years out: ___________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________

  • What ethical results would I like to achieve? (What will my spiritual or religious life look like? How will I display my core values?)
This year: ____________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
3 Years out: ___________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________

  • What physical results would I like to achieve? (How healthy will I be? How will I be eating, exercising, feeling in general?)
This year: ____________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
3 Years out: ___________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________

  • What mental results would I like to achieve? (What will I be reading or studying? What new degrees, certificates or interests will I be adding to my life?)
This year: ____________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
3 Years out: ___________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________

  • What purpose results would I like to achieve? (What legacy would I like to end the year, 5 years out, my life?)
This year: ____________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
5 years out: ___________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
At the end of my life: _____________________
____________________________________
____________________________________


Once this is completed, we can start looking towards Day 5 and Discovering Your Resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment