Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Quarters, Nickels and Dimes

The little things add up. I needed a few pennies for the exact change and started digging in the bottom of my purse (the catchall for coins ). A elderly woman reached over a handed me one penny to complete the right amount.

Grinning sheepishly, I said I save my change and just cleaned out my purse.

She smiled broadly and said, "I do the same thing. For years I have saved quarters, nickels and dimes. When my husband first left me, I had no skills and a young son. I had to work 3 jobs. My son and I developed a routine. Quarters were saved for Christmas - we always managed to have such a lovely holiday. Nickels were saved for taxes - my one employer never took enough out. I saved dimes for 2 years and raised $2000 for a living room suite,; this covered the furniture and lamps, but no tables.

My young son asked if he could make the coffee table and end tables in shop. He would even cut glass to cover the tops.

I asked him how much he thought it would cost.

$60, he replied.

I handed him the cash (all I had left over the week at the time).

Over the years, I struggled, but the quarters, nickels and dimes helped me through many other tough times. I recently sold a successful business, but still continue to save my change. I still have those tables. Soon I will be giving my son those tables.

What an amazing story. Instead of whining, complaining and seeking a handout. This mother and son found a way to use discipline, planning and resourcefulness to survive and thrive. It all started with quarters, nickels and dimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment