Tuesday, August 17, 2010

There's Value in Marketing and Sales


One of my favorite questions is to ask people this question, "How many of your are in marketing and sales?"

If I am not working with a group of sales individuals, I often see few to no hands. Then I follow up with some other questions such as, "How many have ever asked for a raise, a promotion, interviewed for a job, sought a relationship, or, or, or...

Interestingly, hands start shooting up and eventually most of the hands in the room are raised. Then, I re-ask my original question, "How many of your are in marketing and sales?" Now 100 percent of the hands are up.

Acknowledging that we are all in some type of sales and/or marketing, can you appreciate how important it might be to increase your knowledge and skills in this arena?

Well, I for one know first hand the value of marketing. One of colleagues and a dear friend, kept pushing me to be more proactive in internet marketing and start a blog. She also gave me another valuable tip, please measure whether or not it is effective.

I started this blog back in May of this year. Before I started, I created a baseline for tracking how much traffic that I receive to my website. In tracking, I found that I was WAY down on the list(more later about how to find tracking sites to manage this information). The goal is to strive for Number 1. Google, for example is 16 today (only 15 sites receive more traffic). When I started blogging, my blog and website was more than 15,000,000 (that's more than 14,999,000 from number one. Today, I broke a million - the number for this blog - 993,463.

I hope I've helped increase your interest in the value of marketing and sales. This is just the tip of the iceberg!

No comments:

Post a Comment