Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Expectations

Do we have clear expectations for what we want from life? Expectations can be defined as the anticipation of something happening: a confident belief or strong hope.

When we define our expectations we actually help to define ourselves and our success in life. We expect to earn a salary increase, get a promotion, win an award, or we believe can earn more money, we aren’t deserving of being in charge or… and the list goes on. Either way, as an old saying goes, “if you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re probably right.”


The difficulties arise for most people because we have unclear appreciation and understanding of what we are trying to accomplish. The more we gain insight and appreciation for our capabilities, talents, wants and desires, the more we can live a rich, fulfilling life.


Recently when traveling, I overheard a conversation, where one man said to another, “It sounds to me like you are struggling. Can you identify exactly what you expect from your life and commit for the next 7 days to working on just that?” He went on to discuss with his colleague, “Focus on what you want to achieve, keep it simple and then work as if you are already achieving the results. The results can be another client, more money, a better product or service, a better relationship, but for 7 days, be definite in your expectations and let me know at the end of 7 days your results.” I don’t know the outcome for that man, but I do know that he and I received marvelous advice and decided to take action using this recommended approach.


Breaking the 7 day concept is really appealing to me. I have found that I can build a pretty strong habit in 7 days, especially if I create a process that I can replicate later. Sitting down with a blank page in my journal on day one, I clearly outlined what I thought were great expectations for the next full week. Treating this as a brainstorming event, I tended to come up with a very long and overwhelming list. Next, I prioritized the list using a life/work balance approach, addressing family, social, financial/career, physical, mental and spiritual concepts that are important to me. Finally, I wrote out my expectations for the next 7 days in the following manner:


I expect to have a loving/supportive experience daily with my family for 7 days.

I expect to meet two new potential clients this week.

I expect to work daily delivering and refining tools that enhance my service to and with my clients.

I expect to read a new book and discuss with a colleague and friend this week.

I expect to meditate daily for 20 minutes this week.

I expect to engage in physical activities daily for 7 days (walking, kick boxing, etc).


This was a transformational experience for me and the results were astounding. Family and business couldn’t be better. I feel great, excited, motivated, challenged and much more prepared for the curve balls life sometimes sends. I wake up each day expecting to see a “rainbow” and each day one shows up!


I encourage you to have great expectations and please let me know what shows up for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment