Friday, August 6, 2010

Circumstances

A nineteenth century author and philosopher, James Allen wrote this fabulous quote:

"Circumstances don't make the man,
they reveal him."

I notice all too often that we move into the mode of conversation that reveals how effective we are handling life and work.

What do these following situations and comments reveal?

An important meeting suddenly scheduled at the end of the day...

"It's been a really long day and I am tired and hungry I hope this meeting doesn't take long."

versus

"I looking forward to this meeting, I know we have an important agenda."

Meeting with your boss in a planning meeting...

"I'm not sure what is expected of me, just tell me what you want me to do."

versus

"I've done some research about the issues and am prepared to offer some pertinent information."

You've been emailing someone with whom you have a strained relationship and are not getting a response. (the person's office is down the hall)

This has been going on for several weeks and you tell someone else...
"I don't know what's wrong with that person, they are not responding to my emails."

versus

After an appropriate time, you walk into the person's office and say...
"Just wanted to check in with you on the issues that I emailed you about earlier this week. I'd really appreciate you thoughts and suggestions."

Getting the idea. These are day to day events, what happens when we are faced with really challenging situations? I really am becoming aware of how these ordinary situations reveal us. How will you be revealed in the truly significant events and situations in life?










No comments:

Post a Comment