Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Change "I Can" to "I Will"



"It's not enough to have a dream unless I am willing to pursue it."
Anonymous

What we say, think and write can make all the difference in the getting what we really, really want out of life. Two very small words come to mind that are have great influence on our success in work and life.

The Free Online Dictionary by Farlex states:

Can is "used to indicate possession of a specific power, right or privilege."

Will is "the mental faculty by which one deliberately chooses or decides upon a course of action."

Two very small words with two very big differences. When we say "We can" do something, we are indicating that we have the ability or the potential to get the job done. When we say "We will" we are making an active choice to do the job.

When we think, write or say, "I can," we are thinking about making a decision. When we think, write or say, "I will," we have made the decision. A subtle yet powerful distinction changing "I Can" to "I Will."

Do you think this might affect your success? I know it does for me.











1 comment:

  1. Actually I believe you need both - the can and the will. For without one, the other will not be sufficient to do the job. In my opinion, it is not an either or choice.

    ReplyDelete