Monday, December 20, 2010

There's More to Life and Business Than Ego

A powerful strategist and leader, Napoleon Bonaparte could have been a truly extraordinary leader, instead he used superficial motivation and intimidation to get the job done. Unfortunately, he ultimately failed because he forgot to forge a purpose and his ego got in the way.

3 Signs of Ego

Dangling superficial incentives in front of people.

Napoleon once said, "Men will die for ribbons." As a result, thousands of soldiers marched to their death. Bonaparte was banking on his men to honored with short term recognition. As a result, he won battles at enormous cost and finally lost the war.

Suggestion: Find methods of recognition that are more lasting and meaningful. One suggestion is giving a person a project and allowing them to plan and manage with appropriate supervision (keep in mind, I am not saying lack of supervision). I, for one, thrive in this type of environment.

Any suggestions for incentivizing people?

Using position as entitlement

Known as a small man, Napoleon often tried to intimidate others with his dress, thrown and his title. He was often described as a megalomaniac and as a result had very few true supports. Followers are not the same as supporters, they are often doing a mediocre job because it is easier to stroke someone's ego than to stand up and do the right job in the right manner

Suggestion: Keep in mind that a position of leadership is a privilege. A title does not give a person power, even if they have the authority. A truly great leader will continually earn the respect of their team. One sure way to lose people is to say "I'm the boss and this is the way it has to be."

Any suggestions for how to effectively have authority and power?

Lacking integrity and honor

Napoleon didn't care how he achieved his desired ends. He lied to other heads of state, religious leaders and pretty much one to get what he wanted. He hired criminals and bribed officials to ensure results.

Suggestion: Keep in mind that at the end of the day, all we leave with is our character. I would much rather it be said of me that I am a person of my word, than to have someone say "I can't trust Laura.

Today, healthy business leaders let go of their ego and provide an environment of appropriate acknowledgment and rewards, lead from a positive position and act with honor and integrity. When this happens, employees will always excel and support the company's vision.

1 comment:

  1. Profound and timely words!!!! The other day I confronted my boss about his unprofessional manner of addressing me, speaking down to me, belittling my contributions and devaluing my work. I have never given him a reason to not trust me or my quality of work and have excellent annual reviews (that he gave me!) to back it up. My boss's reaction? My boss screamed at me "I'm the boss and I can do whatever I want!" How sad. Time for a new job. Guess it's true what they say, people don't leave jobs, they leave bad leaders.

    ReplyDelete