Tuesday, March 1, 2011

One Brick at a Time

"I don't know what my calling is,
but I want to be here for a bigger reason.
I strive to be like the greatest people who have ever lived."
Will Smith.


We are surrounded by limiting factors. Not enough money, costs are on the rise - health costs, fuel costs, life and work costs. It may almost seem better to cut back and limit. I would like to suggest that we change that mental paradigm and see each challenge, whether real or imagined, as an opportunity to find our own greatness
.

One of my favorite videos on You Tube is Will Smith's Wisdom - this is a much watch video -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSK_Likqv24 . One story that Will shares is a story about his father and building a wall. Smith's father instructs Will and his younger brother to build a wall. At first this seems like a daunting task, and then these two children - Will was 12 and his brother younger laid one brick at a time and in 18 months built a wall.

What a gift, Mr. Smith gave to his young sons. This wall stands today because two mere children were given a job and decided to lay one brick at a time. It didn't occur to them that the wall couldn't be built and so they built it.

Now, it only takes one kind word or expression of gratitude to change a relationship for the better. It only takes one dollar at a time to create an investment program. It only one word at a time to write a book. It one brush stroke at a time to paint a masterpiece.

If two small children can build a brick wall in eighteen months,than I certainly can improve my work, my life, my community "one brick at a time." How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment